Bryanne and Ewan Birth Story...

Our experience of birth was very different to what we had imagined as our son (Ewan) had a calm entrance to the world. Before our one to one home sessions I had a fear of having my blood taken and had to have numbing cream every time. The techniques were easy to follow and practice, which allowed me to prepare for the most amazing event.

The night before birth we had been for a takeaway where I ate far too much, throughout the night I was uncomfortable and was feeling really full! I sat in the nursing chair and fell in and out of light sleep, feeling very embarrassed I told my husband in the morning that the baby was obviously laying on my bladder as I had an accident in the night! I didn't feel hundred percent but said that I would just have a chilled out day and that he should go to work. He decided that he would stay at home and ran a bath for me to relax in. With that he began to cook himself a fried breakfast. After being in the bath for a while and realising that I was having surges that I was breathing through them well, we decided to ring the hospital. After my husband had explained the situation the midwife asked to speak to me so she could see how I was feeling. Listening to my breathing she asked if I could think about coming in to hospital soon as my breathing made it clear that I was having contractions 1 in 5.

Once we got to hospital and in my room the midwife did an initial assessment and said that the baby was the wrong way and I would need an emergency caesarean as the baby was breach. I didn't agree as the head had been down since the beginning, my husband didn't agree and asked for a second opinion. The doctor came and said I was defiantly in labour, baby was head down and I just needed to be fully dilated which in his words would "be hours yet" as only four centimetres. The left me to relax and said they would come back in few hours. My surges were getting stronger and within short period I was ready to push down. I told my midwife and she replied saying "you're not in enough pain, you can't be ready yet". A new midwife appeared to introduce herself as she was new on shift and as I explained previously that I was ready, she suggested that I got on to the bed to for her to observe. I decided that this was best and as she put on her glove to check she said she could see the head and I could push when I was ready. "Go girl, go" were here encouraging words, which urged me on. After using my down breathing for a while and making progress they said that my contractions were not very strong and that if I don't get it out soon the doctor will want to come and use forceps. Hubby said that I wouldn't need it and that I was doing great, continuously encouraging and supporting me. I was more determined to get the baby out independently and the midwife kept reassuring me saying "we don't need those doctors, we can do it". I soon had a natural birth with a few puffs of gas and air and the end, especially during the stitching of my tear.

My labour was five hours in total and found the experience calm and better than we had ever imagined. The stitches were horrendous and very painful however my labour was a controllable uncomfort. From looking back next time I think I tore because I was coached through the second stage rather than left naturally. My husband was amazingly supportive and strong for me and continually told everyone afterwards how proud he was of me.

The hypno birthing experience allowed us to share the emotions and allow our baby to enter the world serenely and safely. I highly recommend hypnobirthing to anyone who is feeling anxious about birth as the techniques, when practised are beneficial and the most natural, compared to what the medical staff explain as well as many people's experience of pain.

Bryanne and Brody's Birth story...

As my first birth went so well I was worried that this birth wasn't going to be as good and for that reason we had a refresher course with Nancy. Following this made me feel more confident and even more determined to have similar or better birth. This was exactly what happened and here is my story to explain more.

At 4am I had a bit of tummy ache and couldn't go to the toilet I then went back to bed. My husband (Giles) asked if I thought I was in labour and I responded "don't be silly, course not!" he cuddled me, still questioning my response but we went back to sleep. My son woke at 5.50am and came in bed where we all chilled until 6am when we came downstairs. Giles began making breakfast and I went to the bathroom where my waters then broke on the toilet, I shouted "you were right my waters just broke". We laughed and that it was convenient with no mess.

Giles dropped our son off at 6.45am to our friends who were going to have him while I went to hospital. Meanwhile I had a bath and had on some music which was helping me relax. By 7.45 I realised I hadn't checked the time between my surges, we counted and found they were 1 in 3 so we proceeded to ring the hospital.

After Giles and myself spoke to the midwife she suggested that we went soon as labour proceeding quickly. I got out the bath after 5/6 attempts as every time I had a surge I wanted to stay in. Giles finally managed to get me out and I got to the lounge and sat on the sofa where I attempted to get dressed. I felt like soon I would need to push and told giles that I wouldn't make the hospital. He was very supportive and got my phone to ring midwife, I explained situation and she told me she was on way to clinic and couldn't help, but if I thought was a real emergency to ring ambulance.

With that Giles instantly rang 999 and a lady explained what to do and was very clear, helpful and encouraging. Giles moved the ball pool and garage toys out the way so I could lie on floor on my dressing gown with cushion under head with the hypnobirthing cd playing. We both stayed calm and the lady was continually checking on our progress. Giles could see the head crowning but stayed calm and kept saying he couldn't see the whole head.

Within 10 minutes the ambulance arrived and bought all equipment in however they said they would assess then take me to hospital. He was checking his watch while talking and other man assessed me. Quickly they said "it's 1 in 2, we having this baby here!" They were very reassuring and constantly asking if I was ok, he told me that when I felt ready he was ready for me to push. Within seconds I gave a little squeeze and his head was born and then another squeeze and the rest of the body was born. We then had lots of skin to skin and cuddles until the midwife arrived and gently pulled the placenta out. She was happy with me and baby and so once all the paperwork was done we were left alone waiting for our son to come home and be a family. The ambulance men said that they couldn't believe how calm we were throughout and that they never thought I was about to give birth when they arrived.

The experience of being at home was lovely and chilled, not at all messy as we thought and was great when our son came home that we could all be together rather than Giles going back and forth to hospital. The only negative was that there wasn't people to come and check on you like they do in hospital and we had lots of washing but the positives override!!

Again would like to thank Nancy for her course and support as I would never have been able to achieve what I did without her!